Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sometimes it's best not to think about it...

Once in while I'll get asked about how I deal with the volume of training that is involved. And it can seem a little overwhelming when you think about it, which is why I try not to :) Don't get me wrong, a lot of thought and planning goes into the training schedule, but when it comes down to completing the schedule, I've learned to just take it one workout at a time.

Today was a good example. On the schedule was a trifecta... all 3 workouts; swim, bike, and run (ok, elliptical actually). If I look at that in total, it's easy to get discouraged. Instead, I just take it a step at a time, which ended up like this:

First up, the swim. Head off in the morning to the pool. The drive there I always think sleeping sounds like a lot more fun, but feel fine once I get going. The swim is actually pretty invigorating, and by the time I'm done I feel pretty good. Head back home to eat and get to work, feeling good so far.

Next on the list is the bike. I use my "lunch break" to get in an hour on the bike trainer. I am reading a good David Balducci novel while I ride, so it ends up being a fairly enjoyable hour; and wakes me up a little from the afternoon doldrums.

Finally, the day ends with 30 minutes on the elliptical. Listen to the ipod and enjoy a few songs, and then I'm done. Now I can go enjoy the evening, feeling that good kind of tired you get from day of solid activity.

See, that wasn't so bad, was it? Now I just have to not think about the weight training and running coming up tomorrow! :)

*****************************************************************************
Please see this website to read more about the HFK program and to make donations:
RMI Hope For Kidz Website Link

*****************************************************************************

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, I need to read something like that. My training has hit the wall and looking for ideas on how to jump start it again. Training is overwhelming at times. The pressure of trying to fit it in and then there is lifes little road bumps that derail it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And sometimes we forget it's not "all or nothing". Over a year of training, so what if one day (or two) we decide we just need to rest and get some other things done! It beats just quitting altogether.

    ReplyDelete