Monday, July 20, 2009

3rd place - I'll take it! :)

Before I dive into the triathlon stuff, a quick note related to why this blog started in the first place, which is the Hope for Kids program. I get the privelege of being able to actually go to Haiti and see the kids that we sponsor in person, which obviously helps to make it very real and personal for me and my family. I was reminded of that recently when my wife framed and mounted a couple of embroidered linens that one of our sponsored kids made for us. The child (Valodia) gave it to me on my last trip to Haiti, and seeing the look on her face when I opened it was one of those highlight moments in life. These are very real children with very real needs, so take a look at the HFK link below, as well as the first post in this blog; and see if there is something you can do to help and/or pass the information on to others. Thank you!

OK, back to triathlons... Did my second triathlon of the season, and had a pretty good day. The race (Marble Falls Triathlon) is basically somewhere between the normal sprint and olympic distances: 1000 meter swim, 23 mile bike, and 4.4 mile run. Fun race, with pretty good hills on the bike. My swim time was almost exactly what it was last year, which was slightly disappointing with all the swimming I've been doing; although in retrospect it seems like it took less out of me to get that swim time. My bike time was faster, though, and I was able to take 30 seconds/mile out of my run time! So all in all, a good day and a fun time.

I ended up getting third place in my age group, which is the same place I got at the half ironman earlier this year. Given the two big ironman distance races coming up, and the Longhorn Half IM, I'd be perfectly happy if that trend continued! :)

I'll get back on the training horse tomorrow, and have a 100+ mile bike ride planned again for this Saturday, and an 18 mile run on Sunday morning. Have I mentioned that I'll be really happy when this is all done and I can try to have a semi-normal life again?

*****************************************************************************
Please see this website to read more about the HFK program and to make donations:
RMI Hope For Kidz Website Link

*****************************************************************************
Race Schedule:

January 11: RunTex 20 Miler (20 mile run) -> COMPLETED

January 25: Frost Yer Fanny Duathlon (27.2 miles run/bike/run) -> COMPLETED


February 15: Austin Marathon (26.2 mile run)-> COMPLETED


April 5: Lonestar 1/2 Ironman Triathlon (70.3 miles swim/bike/run) -> COMPLETED


April 20: Boston Marathon (26.2 mile run) -> COMPLETED

July 19: Marble Falls Triathlon (28 miles s/b/r) -> COMPLETED


September 19: Redman ironman distance Triathlon (140.6 miles swim/bike/run)

October 25: Longhorn 1/2 Ironman Triathlon (70.3 miles swim/bike/run)

November 29: Ironman Cozumel Triathlon (140.6 miles swim/bike/run)

No comments:

Post a Comment